- Box of chocolate cake mix
- 1.5 sticks melted butter
- Can of condensed milk
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 14 oz. package caramels, unwrapped
- Jar of any Jam and Jelly Lady berry jams (I like Christmas Jam the best)
- Mix melted butter with cake mix, 1/2 can of condensed milk, and 1/2 cup of pecans till combined in a thick, sticky batter.
- Using the back of a spatula, press 1/2 of the batter into a greased 9″ x 13″ pan. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 6 minutes
- Take pan out of oven and let it rest 1 minute. Pour/spread 1/2 jar of the berry jam over the brownie layer.
- Sprinkle remaining nuts over the brownie; then sprinkle the chocolate chips over that layer.
- Place caramels and remaining condensed milk into a microwave-safe bowl and melt; stir till combined.
- Evenly pour caramel mix over pan of brownies.
- Press remaining batter (about 2 tablespoons at a time) between palms of your hands, making thin flat circles. As you make each circle, place it on top of the layered brownies, until the caramel layer is completely covered.
- Bake 15 minutes more. Remove from oven and completely cool before slicing.
Yield: 3 dozen polite brownies, or 2 dozen whoppers!
Tip 1: After greasing the pan, I like to line it with a wide piece of parchment paper, with the edges of the paper folded over the long edges of the pan. In this way, after baking I can loosen the short edges of the pn and then lift the entire brownie in one piece out of the pan. Then I use a pizza cutter to neatly cut the brownie into squares. Refrigerated brownies hold their shape well until you are ready to serve.
Tip 2: Try wrapping (in plastic wrap or aluminum foil) and freezing the brownies, if you like frozen candy bars!